Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Power of Stephen Colbert

Link

I've been thinking of what to post since I haven't done so in a while, but since I'm in a Stephen Colbert obssession these days, I figure there's no better topic than Mr Colbert.

One of the many things I like about the character of Stephen Colbert is that somehow he has an incredible influence on the real world. He was named one of Time's 100 most influential people because of that power he exudes and his army of die hard fans from the Colbert Nation.

The link above is an online article about how every politician he interviewed was re-elected, enjoying the infamous "Colbert bump", meaning a positive bump in popularity and votes after they appear on the show. New speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi once said that she doesn't get why politicians would risk looking foolish by appearing in those skewered interviews, but it seems like the answer is they get re-elected.

Speaking of american politics, I have something to confess. Because of my addiction to the Daily Show and the Cobert Report, I now know a lot about American politics, even going so far as monitoring the mid term elections and knowing every detail about it, from the states the Democrats picked up to take the Senate and the House, to the Senators involved. It's weird given the fact that I know next to nothing about Philippine politics. Given my ahiya's situation, I plan to learn all I can when I get home this Xmas. It's just really weird that I suddenly find american politics interesting now and how the Daily Show has made even watching CNN captivating. I guess I can chalk that up to the continuing influence Colbert has on me.

No comments: