Thursday, July 13, 2006

Cheating and Asymmetry: A primer

After weeks and weeks of wrestling my thoughts on whether I’d buy myself a copy of Levitt and Dubner’s Freakonomics (you see, some people become cheap when they’re flat broke and have no means of income yet. Damnit Ms. Dada, why won’t you call me?), I finally decided to buy myself one (after lingering in Fully Booked for an hour and a half, just staring at it) and I’m having no regrets whatsoever since. It’s both an insightful book and eye opener.

I have yet to read pass the book’s third chapter but already I’m having circling thoughts and personal reflections on various related events. I have also noticed that I haven’t really contributed anything meaningful to this group blog lately, heh.

So with this, I’m planning to write something up related to the psychology (and economics pala no?) of cheating, and information asymmetry, as paralleled in chapters one and two of the book.

1. Incentives as a motivational factor for cheating among students.

Together with Anteola, Arellano, and Cabaluna, we once wrote this Experimental Psychology research (albeit poorly written then) on the different kinds of incentives that would motivate a student to cheat. I’m planning to expound on this and give my additional insights, heh.

2. Networking pitching process – it’s all about information asymmetry.

Having personally experienced being pitched by a networking agent, and actually being connected to one, I’m planning to give my additional reactions as to why this field leaves me much to be impressed.

Well, so much for introductions. Here’s to being a devil’s advocate. =)

No comments: