Wednesday, March 14, 2007

It's Time to Dance

So okay, I'm going to get all geeky on you again. I think it's like a once in a few months kind of thing. Anyway, I'm stuck in Wellington and I don't get to play poker till Friday, so I have all kinds of geekiness that needs to be let out.

First up, comic books.

Captain America is dead. Strangely, I have no opinion on this whatsoever. I read the issue and it was alright, I've never been the biggest fan of writer Ed Brubaker that everyone seems to be. Anyway, it looks like Steve Rogers is going to stay dead and someone is going to take over the helm (Bucky or Frank Castle, the way they're hinting). The coolest part of his demise was that after Stephen Colbert talked about it in his show, Marvel sent a letter that Cap apparently bequeathed his shield to Stephen Colbert and they even had the shield and all that. Pretty awesome, which shows again that it is Colbert's world and we're just living in it.

Also, Civil War is over. Iron Man's side won, which sucks. There is a new Fantastic Four in town (Black Panther and his wife, Storm, replacing Reed and Sue, who are taking an absence). Also, Spider-man is back in black which is very very awesome. There are two Avengers, the pro-reg with Iron Man, the Sentry and Ms Marvel and the under-ground ones, with Luke Cage and Spider-man.

Ooh, Stan Lee was in Heroes, which was all kinds of awesome.

Okay, next, movies.

I plan to see 300 in the weekend, so I'll talk about that some other time. Over the last month, I've seen Music and Lyrics, Stranger than Fiction and the Pursuit of Happyness over the theaters. Music and Lyrics was pretty good, I enjoyed Hugh Grant's performance and I'm a sucker for anything about song-writing. It would be in my all-time favorites if not for the black hole that is Drew Barrymore. What a crappy actress. Up next, The Pursuit of Happyness was anything but happy. It was so depressing that I kicked myself for seeing it in the first place. And finally, Stranger Than Fiction has to be in one of my all-time favorite movies. Just pure awesome with Will Ferrell, Emma Thomson and Dustin Hoffman. I also saw an old movie last night: Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. Very creepy and disturbing with a very surreal theme... Could not have loved it any more.

Finally, it's March Madness time baby!

So every year, I have a running bet with my friends from NY on fantasy NBA, MLB playoffs and the grand daddy of them all: NCAA tournament brackets. Since I've stopped doing fantasy NBA and baseball playoffs are about 8 months away, there is nothing on my mind but NCAA brackets and the chances of UNC going allllllllllllllll the way baby. Two years ago, when UNC won it all, I also won my bracket when I had correctly placed three of the final four teams (UNC, Illinois and my darkhorse which paid off, 5th seeded Michigan State). Last year, !@#$#@ George Mason and all the early upsets massacred my bracket to the point where I wasn't even in contention by the second round.

This year, like Bill Simmons, I invested a lot of time watching the NCAAs from tip-off to the big dance. I know most of the teams so I won't just be bracketting based on big school name and the recommendations of so-called experts. This time, I actually know why 3rd seeded Washington State is in huge trouble in the opening rounds.

Anyway, here's what you need to know this year: UNC rocks and Duke sucks. Wheeee!

So that's it.. I've unloaded my geekiness which I found was very relaxing. I'm off to watch "This is Spinal Tap" in my on-going efforts to watch anything that has influenced pop culture at some point. Happy trip, Poy and ciao!

No comments: