Friday, March 31, 2006

Check this out

Here's a really cool poker hand I played recently, I'm a little proud of how I played this hand so here it is:

$1-$2 7 handed no limit game. I started the hand with $220 and the other guy had $100 or so.

Preflop: The guy raised to $10 in middle position and I called on the button with 5s 5d. There is now $23 in the pot ($3 because of the folded blinds).

Flop: 7d, 7h, 4d. Guy bets $20. I hesitate and then call. There is now $63 in the pot.

Turn: Th. The board is now 7d, 7h, 4d, Th (two flush draws). Guy checks. I check behind him. There is still $63 in the pot.

River: 2c. The board is now 7d, 7h, 4d, Th, 2c. Guy pushes all-in with his last $70. I beat to him to the pot and I call with only 55. He shows Ac Kc. I take down a $203 pot ($103 profit) as my two pair sevens and fives (7d, 7h, 5s, 5d, Th) beats his pair of sevens with an ace kicker (7d, 7h, Ac, Kc, Th).

Analysis: Historically, the guy doesn't raise in middle position with nothing so it had to be a pocket pair or AK, AQ or at least AJ. When he overbet the flop (betting $20 to a $23 pot), he revealed that he didn't have a pocket pair, making it obvious he had a big ace. At the turn, he checked. I could have bet here but I decided to check because I wanted him to think I was chasing a flush and I wanted to get paid off at the river. When the 2 of clubs came on the river, there was no possible flush. He overbet the river to scare me away, but by then, I knew he had nothing and I called without hesitation.

Why was I so sure it was a bluff? Like I pointed out earlier, after playing with him before, I noticed that he doesnt raise in middle position with nothing. So with the board of 7 7 4 T 2, the only hand that he could have had to catch a monster with was TT for a full house. He wouldnt have raised with 44, 22, AT, A7 on middle position. And because of the overbet, I knew he didn't have a pocket pair (usually players with pocket pairs bet to chase away chasers but they dont want to overbet in case I had the 7 for trips). The reason I checked the turn is to tell him I don't have the 7 and that I had a flush draw so that he'd bet the river. I got lucky and the river was a meaningless black 2 and I got him to overbet again with an all-in.

The best thing about how I played this hand is that there is no other way I could have played it (i.e. raising on the flop or betting on the turn after it was checked to me) that could have made him bet his entire stack on a situation where I absolutely know he was bluffing. If I raised the flop after he bet the pot on the flop, he would have most probably folded earning me only $23 instead of his whole stack, or he could have re-raised me all-in, which would have made me fold fearing he has an overpair. If I bet the turn after he checked it to me, he would have most likely folded as well, he wouldn't have raised me on the turn with just ace high and no draw. The reason he pushed all-in with his last $70 overbetting to a $63 pot was because he put me on a busted flush draw and he overbet so that in case I had a small pair to the board like Ah 4h to give me a pair of fours and a flush draw on the turn, it would have been hard for me to call.

The biggest mistake he made in the hand was overbetting the flop. The gutsiest play I made was calling the huge bet on the flop with nothing but 55. But the best play hands down was the check on the turn misleading him on what my hand was. That set him up for an all-in move on the river which I anticipated.

Did you guys get the whole hand and analysis?

No comments: