Thursday, April 20, 2006

GK's Repartee, et. al.

"GK's Repartee"

No, not Gawad Kalinga. Glenn Kho.

What I am discontented about Gawad Kalinga is that they are aggressively marketing it as a nationwide community building project yet it deemphasizes the importance of educating the community. I know that they have livelihood programs but it is treated as a supplement rather than a complement. I firmly believe that education is just as important and it deserves the equal amount of right as voluntary carpentry.

We (our Psychology org) realized their shortcoming and took our own initiative. We made our own long-term sustainable education project through building a small library in Baseco, Tondo (DLSU's adopted GK community) and go there weekly to teach the young minds of tomorrow. I'm glad to say that it's been going well since.

Thank you by the way for expanding our insights on attaining the higher needs of an individiual. Yup I've been meaning to talk about that but the topic then was mainly about sustinence. Yes, I also agree that giving out small pledges and even solidarity meals can make significant contributions. It's a good strategy to try out.

Hmm. My final thought: do make your every decision in life an opportunity for personal & social growth, not merely on covering up in your deficits.

Wow. An optimistic Glenn. Bah!
-----

"Hola"

Shifting gears to a more casual tone, I was quietly minding my business as of late, checking my email and then completing my digital portfolio before deciding to truly take a hiatus when I noticed that I got a message by some guy named Eneko.

Turns out that the guy's the head designer of some online magazine and he was interested in featuring my artwork.

Yes, I'm featured at some SPANISH ONLINE ART MAGAZINE (it's not the feature that you might think, the one with articles and pictures and all. just a gallery of some of my works). I could not discern whether I should be glad about this or not because on one hand, hey, it's not everyday that people get to notice your work. But on the other, WTF, why not in a Filipino art magazine instead? It kind of makes you sad too no? Well anyway, I realized that it's going to be a fun experience anyway so I agreed hehe.

Oh yeah, the URL's http://autografico.org. Do check it out.

-----

"Double rip-off"

Having read Lincoln's The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail a year before the Dan Brown novel craze emerged, the phenomena then has left me unimpressed. I was naturally skeptic.

Anyway, I went to your local friendly fake DVD stall today with the sole intention of buying a copy of the Da Vinci Code movie adaptation (I was also trying my luck trying to find a copy of Mirrormask, but to no avail), since my mom's nagging me for weeks now to obtain a copy, and that the recent issue of the Philippine Roman Catholic Church banning its film showing has oh so lured me.

"Da Vinci Code". Well the cover says so, Tom Hanks is even on the visual montage. You can't go wrong with that.

After only two minutes of watching the DVD over dinner with my mom and my aunt, I realized that something wasn't right. We were watching documentary film about Rennes le Chateau with a Da Vinci code cover. I cannot believe that I got ripped by a fake DVD of a FAKE DVD. No return policy. Ack.

Pissed, I watched Scary Movie 4 instead.

Damnit, I want my friggin' 40 pesos back.

1 comment:

G said...

nyahaha. it's in the 7th set.