Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My answer to Jeco's post on the thing about benevolence

(I've decided to make my comment into a post since it's turning out to be quite long. Hehe sorry.)

Psychology and Economics both belong to the discipline of Social Science. They both deal with the metacognition and decisions of persons which result to behavior.

Recall the foremost proponent in the third wave of Psychology, whose model of Hierarchy of Needs is a staple in Economics.

Here are my conclusions based on my unobtrusive (sometimes when I watch you guys give alms to the street children) and obtrusive observations (when it's my turn to give alms, or at times when I bash on them based on the assumption that they work for supposed syndicates): they are merely satisfying their most basic hierarchy of need, that is, their physiological needs.

But going beyond that level of meaning, I'll try to give my two cents as to what motivates them and my personal ideological insights.

I do not blame them at all if they seem to be acting out of our social normes, not practicing cultured decorum such as sharing or giving thanks. Again, this is under my assumption that I have interacted with children who do not work for supposed syndicates (this idea is actually farfetched when you think about it because if there are people that they should be working their poor souls for, it's for their family). My point is, to try to put things into their perspectives. See the world from their innocent eyes, walk the streets using their worn-out slippers, beg for alms with a calloused palm and an empty stomach. It would make a huge difference.

Now for the second half, I agree that not only does it make you feel bad, but actually, terrible. The hounding idea that your noble efforts are still not enough to change the status quo would give you sleepless nights. But give that thought time to grow that will then make you realize that changing the status quo is not a process of revolution, but more of an evolution. It takes time.

And that's one facticity of life that we could not circumvent.

This is also my personal reason why I condone the Gawad Kalinga project. Although I have never been vocal about my stand (seeing that my alma mater is turning to be a GK country, where initial YFC volunteers are becoming zombies, churning out mindless fervor over it. "blind zealots" as I would prefer to identify these youths for Christ), I do not see the significance of its goal of 7,000 homes for 70,000 families in 7 years. Yes, it's a staggering number, but it's just statistic.

The flaw of this vast project (I'll relate this to the topic in a while) is that it ends when the house is complete. Well what about livelihood? One just basically gave the marginalized sector a house (take note, house and not home) to take shelter. Well, they're dry alright, but they're still going to be hungry. Be as it may that it's still better than nothing, but that better is not good enough. It's basically just a patch. This is why I refuse to contribute my physical efforts because after seven years, it will still be a project in vain. Values of Filipino Kapatiran my scrawny ass. It still neglects the more important value of FORESIGHT.

What Gawad Kalinga lacks, as well as our act of kindness to the people asking for alms is the lack of foresight for BOTH parties.

Give them foresight when they have satisfied their physiological needs (i.e. let them realize the bigger picture when they're not thinking on an empty stomach), and that, I would say, is the real significant start than giving them alms and food.

When we've realize that benevolence is not a one-shot process, and they've realize that they should learn to fish as opposed to merely being content to receiving it (ika nga, isang kahig, isang tuka), real lasting change begins. Not only for both our needs, but more imporantly, change (growth) in both our values.

An Indian nun from Calcutta never once gave up even when she realized the big picture. Her unbounded altruism, in a way, became her foresight - to be generous until her world's end.

Yes empathy, then benevolence, but it doesn't end there. Foresight comes next.

I hope i've given a comment/post that's relevant and pertinent.

No comments: